Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Welcome to the blog, note on electronic waste

Thanks for stopping by. I hope to use this space to share my work, thoughts and links on the Web that help me get through the day.

Yesterday, I stopped by the e-recycling drive at Central Station in Downtown Memphis, and  talked to folks as they gave up their newly-obsolete wares. It made me think about how rapidly electronics are phased out and have to be replaced. I've had my laptop for nearly six years now, and that's something to brag about. (Of course, I have to leave it plugged in at all times, and routinely dump pictures and music into an external hard drive.)

Some readers e-mailed me today and said they'd like more information on how to recycle their electronic waste. This is the e-mail I sent back:

XX,

Thanks for your note! Unfortunately, yesterday was the only day to drop off the stuff in bulk, for free. 5R Processors does have a Memphis office - and you could call perhaps for a quote, and see what they would take from you.

Office: 3328 Winbrook Drive Memphis, TN 38116
Phone: (901) 546-0088

There is also a drop off at Shelby Farms - Hours and such are here: http://www.memphistn.gov/framework.aspx?page=870 but I'm told it is rather limited (weight and amount restrictions).

This article, which was linked to mine, is a pretty thorough run down of places to take gadgets in Memphis. http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/apr/16/getting-rid-of-gadgets/

And alas, if none of these options work, there will be another drive next year. It's usually promo'd in the newspaper, on television, on the Downtown Memphis Commission website and in neighborhood newsletters.

Best,

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment